Washington, D.C. — Latino Victory Fund congratulated State Senator Tony Vargas for winning the primary election in the race for Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District. Vargas will be the first Latino candidate elected to this seat if he wins the general election in November.
Latino Victory Fund Managing Director Yvonne Gutierrez released the following statement:
“We’re thrilled to congratulate Tony Vargas for advancing to the general election, a significant step towards gaining one more Latino seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. During these challenging times, we need more Latino voices in Congress who will fight for issues that help our community thrive and protect our rights. Tony is a proven leader who has helped make his community better as a state legislator, a school board member, and a teacher, and he’s ready to go to Washington to continue working for Nebraskans. Latino Victory will work to help Tony make it across the finish line and win this historic race come November.”
Latino Victory previously endorsed Vargas in his bid to the state Senate in 2016 and again in 2020.
Meet Tony Vargas
- State Senator Tony Vargas has served Nebraskans as an elected official for nine years. Vargas learned the values of community, hard work, and perseverance from his parents.
- Since 2013, Vargas has devoted his career to public service and improving opportunities for all Nebraskans. He was a member of the Omaha Public Schools Board and then a member of the Nebraska Legislature.
- As a state senator, Vargas has developed a reputation for civility and reaching across the aisle to get things done for Nebraska workers and small businesses.
- He has successfully passed legislation to strengthen public schools, improve access to health care, encourage technology and innovation, and improve consumer protections.
- As one of the first members of his family to graduate from college, Vargas earned his Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Rochester and a Master’s in Education at Pace University.