WASHINGTON – Today, Latino Victory Fund, the most influential national organization helping to build political power within the Latino community at every level of government, endorsed two members of the New York City Council who are vying for re-election: Marjorie Velázquez for District 13 and Pierina Sanchez for District 14.
Latino Victory Fund President and CEO Sindy Benavides released the following statement:
“Latino Victory is thrilled to support two outstanding Latinas in the New York City Council – Marjorie Velázquez in District 13 and Pierina Sanchez in District 14. Both women were first elected in 2021, after serving their communities as leaders and advocates. That was a historic election year for women in government and New York City experienced a political metamorphosis, achieving the Council’s first female majority, with 86% of those newly elected women being women of color. Both council members were born and raised in their districts, and represent working families at City Hall. They embody the heart of the Latino community, and they’re leaders who understand that representation matters so the issues and concerns of our neighbors are at the forefront of policy decisions.”
“Marjorie Velázquez, the daughter of Puerto Rican parents, is the first woman of color and Latina to represent District 13. She is a fearless advocate for a good quality of life in her community, fighting for improved transportation infrastructure in the Northeast Bronx, greater funding for schools and responsible development that maintains the vibrancy of its neighborhoods. As Chair of the Committee on Consumer and Worker Protection, she has worked to pass legislation for good-paying union jobs, and she has fought for improved health care access for all. She is the kind of leader who puts her community first and we are thrilled to endorse her for another term.”
“Pierina Sanchez, an Afro Latina and proud daughter of Dominican immigrants, is a living example of hard work and commitment to her community. A Bronx native, she attended Harvard University on a full scholarship and received her master’s degree from Princeton University, before an extensive career in public service. From working in the Obama administration, to her current role in the City Council, Sanchez has a proven track record as a strong social justice advocate. In her first year, Council Member Sanchez advocated for greater resources of over 3,000 neighborhoods in her district,including a $30 million dollar investment for schools and community centers. Latino Victory is proud to stand alongside Pierina Sanchez in her reelection campaign to continue fighting for New Yorkers at City Hall.”
Meet the Candidates
Councilwoman Marjorie Velázquez for District 13
- Marjorie Velázquez born and raised in the Bronx, attended public schools in Parkchester and St. Catharine’s Academy for high school in Pelham Parkway before earning her degree in Finance and Accounting at New York University (NYU).
- Before her time in city hall, Marjorie was part of the Bronx Community Board 10 where she served as treasurer and Municipal Services Committee chair.
- In 2021, Marjorie Velázquez became the first Latina and person of color to represent District 13.
You can learn more about Marjorie’s campaign here.
Councilwoman Pierina Sanchez for District 14
- Pierina is an Afro-Dominicana, daughter of immigrants, and lifelong Bronxite, born in University Heights and raised in Kingsbridge.
- Pierina is a proud alumna of Bronx public schools P.S. 46 and M.S. 45, and the Academy of Mount Saint Ursula. She is a graduate of Harvard University and earned a Master in Public Affairs degree from Princeton University.
- Pierina served in the Obama White House and then as an urban planner at Regional Plan Association.
You can learn more about Pierina’s campaign here.
The Latino Victory Fund is a progressive political action committee with the mission of growing Latino political power by increasing Latino representation at every level of government – from the school board to the Senate to the White House.